Did you know that most insurance plans don’t cover termite repairs or treatment? You want to make sure that you use preventive measures to avoid termite damage especially since your home is usually your largest asset.
Termites – How Do You Know If You Have Them?
Since termites live underground and in the walls of your home, you might not be able to ever see the actual termites
“Termites rarely emerge from soil, mud tubes, or food sources through which they are tunneling. Most people are not aware they have termites until they see a swarm or come across damage during construction”, says The US Environmental Protection Agency.
Look for these signs:
- Antennae are straight and may droop.
- Wings are roughly equal in length.
- Termite droppings, which look like small, ridged, wood-colored pellets.
- Mud tubes on exterior surface.
We recommend regular inspection by a pest-control professional since some of these signs are difficult to detect.
Preventing Termite Infestation
Make the Structure Less Attractive to Termites
EPA Safe Pest Control suggests “that during construction, use a concrete foundation and leave a ventilation space between the soil and wood. Cover exposed wood surfaces with a sealant or metal barrier”.
Implement and Maintain Termite Prevention Features
- Do not pile or store firewood or wood debris next to the house.
- Ensure that trees and shrubs are not planted too close to the structure and do not allow them to grow against exposed wood surfaces.
- After construction, keep the soil around the foundation dry through proper grading and drainage (including maintenance of gutters and downspouts).
- Reduce openings that offer termites access to the structure (filling cracks in cement foundations as well as around where utilities pass through the wall with cement, grout, or caulk).
- Fix leaks immediately.
- Keep vents free from blockage, including plants.
- Inspect periodically to help ensure that termite colonies do not become established.
What is Your Best Solution?
Schedule a Free Inspection by a termite company.
Drive-Bye Exterminators offers home and commercial pest control services in Clearwater, Florida, and the surrounding areas. Family owned and operated for over 25 years, Drive-Bye Exterminators has state certified inspectors and exterminators provide roach, subterranean termite, dry wood termite, roaches, spider, ant and flea services to both commercial and residential clients. Whether a business owner needs help getting rid of a termite infestation, or a homeowner wants to rid their kitchen of ants, Drive-Bye Exterminators offers each client the same level of professionalism and excellence.
Request a FREE Pest Control or Termite Inspection today with the Professionals of Drive-Bye Exterminators. Contact Us Today at 727-423-9040.